Bharat Stories
Light of Knowledge

Diabetes: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments

0 31

Also known as Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes is a condition wherein a group of metabolism diseases come to fore since the affected person’s body produces high blood glucose, that is sugar, due to the very fact the body has inadequate production of insulin, or simply because the body cells don’t react rightly to the insulin that is being produced. Diabetes as a disease is a long term condition and has two types, known as Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.

In Type 1 Diabetes, the patient’s body doesn’t produce insulin at all, while in Type 2 Diabetes, the body produces insulin but not enough for proper functions. Type 1 happens in 10% of the patients, whereas the remaining 90% get Type 2 diabetes, making it more common. Other than these two, there exists a third type, which is the gestational diabetes, which happens to win during the stage of their pregnancy.

Additionally, diabetes again has two subcategories, wherein hyperglycemia is the condition in which a person’s blood glucose is way too high, and hypoglycemia is the condition in which the blood glucose of a person is too low, both of which are quite dangerous.

Coming to the symptoms that majority of the diabetes patients commonly suffer from, this includes frequent urination, unusual weight gain, or at times, unusual weight loss, intense hunger as well as thirst, tingling in both hands and feet, numbness in areas, wounds and minor cuts that doesn’t heal quickly and take longer than usual to cure, and sexual dysfunction in some males.

With diabetes, there’s always a risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure, hence, diabetes patients are always advised to keep their blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check and monitoring is needed time to time.

Coming to the treatment for diabetes, the type 1 patients are advised to take insulin injections in recommended quantity every day, keep a check on their diet and also exercise regularly to lead a normal life. Whereas for type 2 patients, everything remains same as treatment recommendations for type 1, with the additions of some oral medications as recommended by health professionals.

Featured Image Source: healthaim.com

 

Loading...

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.