History of Safdarjung Tomb
A marble mausoleum and sandstone situated in the capital of India, Delhi, Safdurjung’s tomb was built in the year 1754 in late Mughal architecture style to pay tribute to the statesman Safdurjung, and is popularly known as the “last flicker in the lamp of Mughal architecture,” as it was the last bit of Mughal construction that happened in the country.
The monument is visually dynamic, with a lot of open space and has a dome and arch in red, brown and white colors. Being appointed as the Prime Minister of the Mughal Empire in the year 1748, when Ahmad Shah Bahadur took over the throne, Safdurjung has been a significant entity in the history of Mughal dynasty in India.
The tomb is situated near to the Safdurjung Airport in New Delhi, also named after the statesman. Drawing similarities with the tomb of Humayun, the tomb of Safdurjung is also built like an enclosed garden, and has four aspects of plan, which are, the Charbagh garden plan, a five-part façade, a nine floor plan and a big podium that has a secret staircase.
The structure has Arabic inscriptions at the entrance and at the right side of the monument is a mosque which has a three domed shaped frame.