History of Jodhpur Fort
Also known as Mehrangarh Fort, the Jodhpur Fort, as the name suggests is located in Jodhpur, in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It was built in the year 1459 by Rao Jodha. One of the largest forts in the country, the Jodhpur Fort is 400 feet tall from the sky limits, and is famous for its magnificent architecture and extravagant courtyards.
The monument consists of a total of seven gates, one of which was built by Maharaja Maan Singh, after he defeated the armies of Bikaner and Jaipur. Another gate was constructed by Maharaja Ajit Singhas a symbol of his victory by defeating the Mughals. On the left end of the fort is the tomb of Kirat Singh Soda, a soldier who died at the spot while defending the fort.
The fort also has a large museum, which draws immense attention from tourists, especially due to the fact that it contains the royal palanquins that were used during weddings in the ancient history of the state, and also paintings from both Jodhpur and Marwar, outfits and arms of the royal soldiers who fought umpteen battles all throughout their lives.
Apart from these, the museum also houses colorful turbans belonging to that era, along with a variety of folk musical instruments.